VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT( 2 POSITIONS)
Name of the position: WASH Program Officer
Base: Isiolo/Samburu and West Pokot
Direct line manager: Program Manager
Line management of:
Starting date: As soon as possible
Contract Duration: 6 Months
Founded in 1979, Action Against Hungeris an international humanitarian organization that delivers programs in over 40 countries. Recognized worldwide as a leader in the fight against hunger, our mission is to save lives through the prevention, detection, and treatment of malnutrition, especially during and after emergency situations and conflicts. From crisis to sustainability, Action Against Hunger tackles the underlying causes of malnutrition and its effects. By integrating our programs with local and national systems, we further ensure that short-term interventions become long-term solutions. With Head Offices in France, the United Kingdom, Spain, the United States and Canada, our international network shares its combined resources, breadth of experience and technical expertise in pursuit of a world without hunger.
Action Against Hunger has been present in Kenya since 2001 and is a transformative leader in nutrition security for improved quality of life among vulnerable communities. Action Against Hunger wants to contribute to the optimal functional performance of National, County, and Community systems through strategic partnerships for innovative nutrition-sensitive and nutrition-specific interventions to achieve its impact. Action Against Hunger is currently implementing activities in West Pokot, Mandera, Samburu, Isiolo, Trans Nzoia, Kakamega, Bungoma and Busia counties.
To achieve this, Action Against Hunger will;
1. Intervene on the Health and Nutrition sector: evolving from direct service provision to strengthening the health system- focusing on ‘strengthening’ the system more than ‘supporting’ the system
Action Against Hunger-Kenya health and nutrition program has considerably evolved from direct service provision, to scaling up the relationship and partnership with the Ministry of Health (MoH) by recognizing them as the primary health and nutrition service providers and working at building their technical capacity to reach a higher level in the quality of services provided. Strengthening the health system will not happen by indiscriminately working on the six (6) HSS pillar alone but through a critical and holistic review of the health system processes. This critical and holistic diagnostic approach requires having developed a trustful relationship to be able to work together with the health departments, at national, County and sub-county levels
2. Bringing the Community Health Strategy (CHS) onboard
Within the HSS approach, Action Against Hunger-Kenya will focus on community health strategy (CHS) as CHS has the potential to have a huge impact on addressing under-nutrition and is, unfortunately, under-utilized. Through this system, Action Against Hunger-Kenya will work with the MoH to create demand and accountability for services offered. This will be achieved through
1. Applying SBCC approach at community level
2. Strengthen referral and counter referral system
3. Scaling up community/citizen engagement
If the system on which Action Against Hunger is supporting is not properly connected to people and there is inadequate engagement with people themselves then results will not be achieved. Deciders are still making crucial decisions on behalf of their citizen and on what they think should be the strategies and the priorities. The most vulnerable groups lack strong voice to advocate for their priorities thus the requirement for an engagement platform.
4. Sustainability of WASH services to strengthen nutrition sensitive programming
Nutrition sensitive programming remains key to achieving better nutrition impact and reaching targets. WASH is a vital element but the main problem in Kenya is about sustainable access to safe water and sanitation services to withstand the recurrent shocks in ASAL regions. Findings clearly demonstrate critical role of WASH in good nutrition require long-term sustainable solutions for the vulnerable communities embedded in the existing systems and communities
The position holder Will aim to work closely with the Ministry of Health both at National and County levels to support in the implementation of the National and County level strategies related to improving maternal Infant and Young Child Nutrition (MIYCN) and building relationships with key stakeholders including within government institutions, the donor community, NGOs and the private sector.
Research will be aimed at informing program action by building rigorous high quality evidence. Thus, Action Against Hunger will seek to contextualise research findings within the larger health and Nutrition strategy. Research will always be of high quality in order to produce knowledge that is applicable outside of the research setting. Results of the research will also be used to improve programming and inform policy and strategies at the National and County level.
Roles and Responsibilities
1: Support the implementation of environnemental sanitation program at community level.
• Assist in identification and training of communities where Action Against Hunger executes its WASH programs.
• Ensure that tools and equipment are regularly maintained and are in good working condition.
• Ensure program is meeting pre-set objectives
• Provide technical advice to the county team members as needed
• Stay updated on WASH program schedule and objectives
• Ensure all material and equipment orders to logistics are placed on time according to weekly plan.
• Review monthly stock reports to keep track of consumable material use and advise
2: Support Implementation of health and hygiene promotion and community mobilization activities
• In coordination with the PM and county teams, design and conduct all baseline assessments, KAP surveys, and follow-up assessments with concrete feedback findings.
• Ensure that all assessment data is kept organized in an accessible manner
• Make recommendations for software and hardware activity locations based on assessment results
• Planning and implementation of community mobilization activities (using; PHAST, CLTS, CHAST and any new methodology that may be introduced and appropriate.)
• Meeting with local leaders and community elders to communicate the details of overall Action Against Hunger program objectives and specific WASH program objectives
• Support data collection related to WASH monitoring and assessments programs
3: Provide support Supervision to Hygiene Promotion and community mobilization Staff
• Support the county teams Supervise hygiene promoters, community mobilization team and other hygiene and sanitation team
• To ensure that the program of activity plans for the WASH team are being implemented in line with Action Against Hunger procedures and guidelines.
• Communicate activity objectives among the county teams and ensure deadlines are met.
• Discuss problems and progresses in the field using proactive communication on a daily basis
• Assist in regular evaluations of team members
4: Reporting and Program Development
• Compile program reports on a timely basis in liaison with other program staff; Weekly SitRep, Monthly(statistical and narrative), Quarterly and annual donor reports
• To verify that all reports and data submitted to Action Against Hunger by CHVs are accurate and completed. Ensure all team members have the knowledge and resources for field based educational work
• In collaboration with the Program Manager prepare progress reports, quarterly donor reports, proposals, Program reports project procurement plan and contributes to survey reports.
• In collaboration with Program Manager and coordination team; contribute in defining technical strategy when required.
• Participates in the analysis and drafting of activity reports and evaluation of the project.
• In liaison with the program manager develop project proposal to address County specific gaps
• Support MOH focal persons on information, data management and reporting through the DHIS
• Participate in the planning, organizing and implementation of surveys, assessments and research studies including post distribution monitoring
5: Information exchange and cooperation with all Action Against Hunger interventions and external stakeholders
• Collaborate with all other Action Against Hunger departments and sectors to ensure the projects are integrated
• Support the County implement evaluation surveys
• Collaboration with other Partners, MOH (S/CHMT), INGOs, NGOs, CBOs and the UN working in this area to ensure smooth running of projects.
• Work in collaboration with the communities and local leaders at all stages of project implementation
• Document human interest stories and lessons learnt
6: Finance, Logistics
• Prepare cash forecast in liaison with the other program staff in line with the work plans
• Ensure the expenditure is as stipulated in the budget lines and strict adherence to the budget limits
• Propose anticipated budget realignment in discussion with program manager
• In liaison with the Program Manager Monitor budget spending in line with spending plan; ensure diligence in grants utilization including timely spending and value for money.
• Support the Program manager in monthly budget reviews and suggesting amendments to Finance
• Degree/Diploma or technical training in Public Health/ community development or health related field from a recognized institution.
• Experience from both private and INGO sectors is an advantage
• Knowledge of main donor requirements including UNICEF, ECHO, EU donors, etc.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
• 3 years’ experience in a similar position.
• Previous experience in Arid and Semi-Arid lands of Kenya
• Experience with Health System Strengthening
• Computer skills with excellence in Microsoft Excel and Word
• Proven ability to work in a team and proven skills in capacity building and community development (including community participation)
• Good level of spoken and written English and Kiswahili
• Ability to work within deadlines, follow security rules and be flexibleAbility to work under minimal supervision and have impact on input on program indicators
• Demonstrate capacity in constructively engaging local authorities and local partners.
• Finance, admin, grant management, logistic, HR, security management experience
• Excellent organization, coordination, report writing and team management skills
• Strong and effective communication and presentation skillsTeam player and Keen to details
• Problem solving
• Technical credibility
• Vision and strategic thinking
• Capacity to reconcile different and sometime divergent priorities
What Action Against Hunger will offer:
Start date: As soon as possible.
Duty station: Isiolo/Samburu Office and West Pokot Office.
Remuneration package: Very Competitive salary package with additional benefits to include:
Career development opportunities with Action Against Hunger
Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents
Opportunity to work in a good and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team
Closing Date : 21ST March 2018 by Close of Business 5pm. Applications sent after the closing date and time will not be considered.
Interested candidates should submit their applications through www.myjobsinkenya.com/action
Position opened to Kenyan Nationals only.