Islamic Relief is an international NGO, established in 1984 in the UK, seeking to promote sustainable Economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and developmental activities. We aim to help the needy regardless of Race, Religion, Colour and Gender. Islamic Relief is currently running Programmes in several sectors that include Education, Water & Sanitation, Resilient Livelihoods, Micro Finance (Sharia), Peace Building & Youth Empowerment. We current have our programme in Garissa, Tana River, Kilifi, Kajiado, Wajir, Marsabit and Mandera Counties.
Islamic Relief Kenya program seeks to recruit the following positions:
POSITION DUTY STATION
PROJECT OFFICER – x 1 - Mandera
MEAL ASSISTANT – x 1 - Moyale
HOW TO APPLY
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to Recruitment.Irk@islamic-relief.or.ke by Wednesday 24th April, 2019.
Please note that this is an urgent recruitment shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis
Title Livelihood Officer (1)
Reporting To: Livelihood Coordinator – Technically
Field Coordinator – Administratively
Base Location: 100% (Mandera)
Scope of the Role:
Community Empowerment through integrated sustainable development is one of the broad global goals adopted by Islamic Relief in its institutional strategic plan. The programme focuses on economic strengthening for the poor and vulnerable rural communities with the focusing on improving their capacities, access to productive resources, productivity, profitability and participation in various levels of decision making in the society.
Further, the programme has a strong focus on Resilience building through disaster risk reduction to reduce the vulnerability of rural livelihoods to external shocks and the effects of climate change, as well as the strengthening of organized advocacy capacities to influence public rural development.
The Sustainable Livelihoods Programme Officer will take overall responsibility for the implementation of the programme in the assigned operation area working in close collaboration with the programme team in Nairobi,, Kilifi and Mandera to enhance the quality of implementation of programme initiatives undertaken by IRK and local partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Implementation of the Integrated Community Resilience Programme (ICReP) in Kenya. The project targets communities in Kilifi and Mandera counties in accordance with the IRK’s Country strategy.
· Support target community build resilience through 3 domains of change a) increased agricultural productivity and income b) Improved access to safe water for domestic, agriculture, livestock and community social amenities and c)More conducive and enabling attitudes and institutions
· Ensure that the project is implemented in line with the Core Humanitarian Standards including Safeguarding and donor guidelines.
· Establish and strengthen community-based institutions by formation Group Savings and Loans Associations(GSLAs)
· Provide sector-specific livelihood and business training and build technical and soft skills for communities groups
· Facilitate capacity building of communities on crop and livestock husbandry for improved household food and nutrition security and incomes.
· Oversee the development of community water infrastructure, coordination with government departments and linkage with other sectors for impact.
· Develop, Protect and upgrade new and existing water facilities to ensure effective management and utilization for sustainable development.
· Create linkages with service providers, markets, government extension services and financial services.
· Introduce communities to climate-smart approaches that enhance productivity and incomes
· Facilitate participation and inclusion of marginalized groups through linkage to government institutions
· Facilitate advocacy and awareness forums between the right holders and the duty bearers
· Ensure programme quality and strengthening through continuous reviews of the programme with the staff and partners.
· Prepare monthly activity cash request for facilitation by the finance department.
· Participate and contribute in partners coordination forums and further prepare a catalogue of partners in the project area.
· Keep abreast of political, economic and social developments in the area and report to the line managers.
· Contribute to cross-organizational learning through documentation of lessons learnt
Job Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Assistant
Reporting To: MEAL Coordinator
Base Location: 100% Moyale
Established in 1984 in the UK, Islamic Relief is an international NGO seeking to promote sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities through relief and development activities.
IR started operations in Kenya in 1993 on one to one orphans’ sponsorship programme through a local CBO in Mandera District, Northern Kenya. It opened its fully-fledged office in March in 2006 at the height of drought in the Horn of Africa. Since then IR has been providing humanitarian and development assistance to vulnerable communities. Since 2006 IRK has remarkably changed the lives of the vulnerable and disadvantaged communities. Following this great success in Mandera, most of the programmes and best practices have been, and continue to be replicated in other parts of the country; mostly in Northern Kenya. For instance, in January 2010, IRK extended its operation to Wajir county, neighbouring Mandera. In 2011, the programme was extended to Garissa and Dadaab and in 2012, to Nairobi Slums (Korogocho slums). In 2016, IRK conducted assessment in counties of Kilifi, Kwale, Tana River and Kajiado to explore opportunities for replicating its best practices in supporting and empowering communities. In 2017, IRK expanded its operation to Kilifi, Kajiado and Marsabit counties.
IR aim to help the needy regardless of race, religion or gender and implement our work within the following Thematic Areas: Sustainable Community Empowerment; Disaster and Humanitarian Response; and Education and Child Development.
The MEAL Assistant will be a part of the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team, supporting implementation of the overall MEAL system. S/he will assist the MEAL and project team with activities, including data collection, database management and analysis, implementing post-distribution monitoring (PDM) as well as being the focal point for CRM for target communities. The MEAL Assistant will support all efforts for promoting a high level of beneficiary accountability and will manage the feedback mechanism. The MEAL Assistant will work closely with the MEAL Officer to support data entry and management as needed. They will generally support the MEAL team and project team to ensure learning and accountability systems are working effectively in the implementation
Ensure consistency within all the programs and practices.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Monitoring and Evaluation
Accountability & compliance
Programme Learning and documentation
Perform any other duties and responsibilities within the overall function of MEAL as and when requested by the line manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
Subscribe to our monthly email to keep up to date with the latest products, tech tips and industry news.
Inter-Agency Working Group on disaster Preparedness for East and Central Africa (IAWG)
P.O. Box 14762- 00800 Westlands Nairobi, Kenya Tel:+254 (20) 418 0403/4/5
Physical location, Lower Kabete Road (Ngecha Junction).