Project Officer – OVC
Location: Turkana, Kenya
Reports to (Job Title): Regional Project Coordinator
Salary Band: E
Matrix manager (if applicable): Senior Technical Advisor OVC
Competency level: 2 Role definition
This role will be responsible for supporting effective project planning and implementation including timely reporting for the CASE-OVC project in Turkana County.
Specifically the project officer will be responsible for Case Management, Child Protection, Household Economic Strengthening and System Strengthening in line with the CASE-OVC approaches to ensure smooth graduation and transition to resilience for OVC and their households. (30%)
The role will work closely with the Grants Officer to ensure effective and timely disbursement of funds to Local Implementing Partner(LIP) for the CASE-OVC Project. Ensure coordination of partners by planning and organizing review meetings, Support Regional Project Coordinator in the identification of LIP, GoK and other partners/stakeholder capacity needs and development of action plans. The role holder will represent CASE-OVC in the Turkana County relevant multi-stakeholder and coordination fora (30%)
To contribute to the development of Christian Aid policy, strategy and thought leadership through documentation and communication of the Evidence Based Interventions (EBI) within the CASE-OVC Project. (20%).
In collaboration with the Regional M&E officer ensure robust and quality data management from LIP as well as supporting them in using information management system especially CPIMS as part of programming, reporting, and learning for the CASE-OVC Project. (10%)
To contribute to increasing Christian Aid project portfolio by actively participating in relationship building, represent CASE-OVC in county level government, partners and stakeholder meetings. Engage in personal development including reading, training, conferences, coaching among others (10%).
• Quality OVC project delivered in a timely manner, within budget and in line with agreed aims
• Strong portfolio of partners and other stakeholders able to effectively deliver the project
• Compliance with financial policies and procedures including budget management, procurement, reporting requirements and contribution made to other team members in the development and implementation of partner capacity building and training
• Thought leadership through operational research, evidence based communication products, conferences, meetings, presentations at thematic conferences, side events at development conferences among others
• Confidentiality maintained in case management and data management
• Project workplans and reports based on strong project designs, planning and evaluation procedures using Christian Aid’s internal systems
• Decisions on programme work in the county informed by Christian Aid’s strategic focus areas
• Strong linkages between partner work and advocacy and communications
Expected travel per annum: Over 75 days
On call/unsocial hours: Yes, in event of Christian Aid response to humanitarian emergency.
Surge capacity for emergency responses: No
In order to respond to ever changing demands within the environment, Christian Aid operates within an agile framework (both in workforce and operational) that requires from all employees, a high level of responsiveness and adaptiveness to processes and structures making flexibility and a project based working approach the norm. To sustain this system, managers may/will agree further details of specific tasks and duties as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility, and employees may be required to change the focus of their role from time to time.
The role works within the International Programmes family and the wider Programme management remit. The role is based in Turkana and is key in providing support to the Kenya Christian Aid to ensure quality and excellence in project and budget management that ensures grants to partners are implemented as planned, within budget, timelines and deliver intended outputs and impact. The role is responsible for the thematic area of Health and will be expected to provide thought leadership within Christian Aid's policy and strategic positions through evidence based publications and communication to stakeholders and using this communication for donor relations
External: Relationships with LIPs and County level GoK to ensure delivery of projects managed. Relationships with respective institutional donors on project progress and impact .
Internal: The position is line managed by the Regional Project Coordinator. The role links up strongly with the regional technical officers to deliver in the project key areas (Health and Social Protection service delivery, Household Economic Strengthening, Systems Strengthening, Monitoring and Evaluation and Grants/Finance). Role is key in ensuring good relations with other roles in communication and advocacy in Christian Aid in the UK and Ireland.
Budgetary/savings responsibility Budget and contract management of projects implemented by partners in line with Christian Aid policies and project proposals agreed with donors. Assures optimal partner budget variances and compliance within agreed frameworks. Develops new ideas and fundraising proposals as agreed with the Senior Technical Advisor OVC and Regional Project Coordinators to grow the respective thematic stream of work. Provides support to partners based on frameworks agreed with country team. Maintains excellent relationships with other staff country office and with fundraising teams. Represents Christian Aid and the programme externally with partners, other
NGOs, donors and other agencies within the county. Appraise, monitor and review programme in line with CA and external requirements and provides the manager with appropriate recommendations for improvement.
Click here to enter text. Outline the level of authority and accountability in decision making, what resources is the post holder responsibility for? Frequency of decision making?
Critical analytical skills to make sense of routine data, understand evidence, conduct situation analysis ensuring project learning, adaptation, communication and publications are based on robust evidence. The role needs to analyse messaging on IEC materials as well as scrutinise expenditure and impact of interventions, and propose strategic value-for-resources adjustments. Considerable tact is also required in delivering shifts in power relations as power holders do not easily relinquish it.
Developing self and others
Number of Direct reports: None
Overall people management responsibility: None
Ability to learn, read widely and seek out divergent opinions within Christian Aid and outside in the thematic focus area and apply it to improve programming is critical to being the focal expert in the subject matter within the country programme. This role will respectfully challenge other practices, thinking and logic with the intention of advancing the objectives of Christian Aid through evidence-based learning and adaptation.
Role related checks
Child protection clearance Not required Counter terrorism screening Not required Person specification
Applied skills/knowledge and expertise
• Graduate in a relevant discipline or equivalent with experience in project planning and community implementation of OVC and Child Protection Programming programs
• Demonstrated experience working in atleast 2 of the following areas: household economic strengthening, social protection, social service workforce, education and child protection
• Experience in implementing USAID funded projects
• Familiarity with programme cycle management approaches and tools – including participatory planning, monitoring and evaluation with good understanding of financial controls and procedures. Direct experience of programme appraisal, monitoring and evaluation and of developing partners’ capacity
• Excellent interpersonal, writing and oral presentation skills to meet diverse requirements of LIPs and other stakeholders
• Experience of facilitation, training and network building
• A self-leader, decisive and team player
• Post graduate qualification in a relevant field
• Monitoring and evaluation qualification
• Understanding of partnership approach to international development
• Understanding of gender and exclusion
• Training and workshop facilitation
• Hands-on experience in OVC/Child Protection in Turkana county or other hard to reach areas
Digital/IT competencies required
Word, Excel, PowerPoint: Intermediate
Web content design & development: Intermediate
Internet based collaboration tools and video calling: Basic
Social Media: Basic
Data Visualisation: Intermediate
DATE CREATED: 27/03/2018
Follow link for more information: https://bit.ly/2JGHc4K