Project Manager / Advocacy Expert
Caritas Switzerland is a non-governmental aid agency and a member of Caritas Internationalis. Caritas works worldwide and adheres to international humanitarian principles. We encourage people to take charge of their own fate and doing this by promoting local initiatives that sustainably improve the living conditions of the socially disadvantaged, advocating the conservation of natural resources, supporting civil conflict resolution and peace building, cooperating with local partners and strengthening their own commitments.
In our Kenya Country Programme (KCP) 2017-2020, we focus on WASH and Climate Change/Disaster Risk Reduction. We work mainly in rural areas but have expanded our portfolio to urban areas. Coming from infrastructure-centred investment projects, we moved on to integrated approaches, advocacy, partnerships and advisory functions with the government.
As a working principle, we align our work with the rules and regulations of the respective sectors. We strongly believe that better coordination of all stakeholders can help realise the sector’s plans and ambitions. We pilot innovations and explore partnerships with the private sector, civil society actors and research centres. Whenever possible, we integrate capacity building, and facilitate exchange visits at different levels for learning and leverage purposes.
Since 2015, we have held the position of co-convener of the Technical Working Group WASH in School, one of seven thematic working groups under the Environmental Sanitation & Hygiene Inter-Agency Co-ordination Committee that operates under the Ministry of Health. Through this engagement, we support the government’s efforts to coordinate the different stakeholders and approaches to WASH in school. We have collaborated in the development of a wide range of national guidelines and policy documents.
In the field of rural water services provision for instance, we developed the Integrity Management Toolbox for small water supply systems in 2014 to help realise the human right to water. We link right holders with duty bearers and practise comprehensive community participation to ensure sustainable management of resources. We support the government’s efforts to reach all citizens with safe water and ensure quality service provision.
Position: Project Manager/Advocacy Expert
We are looking for an experienced professional to support our programme team for a variety of flagship WASH projects/ initiatives. The Project Manager/Advocacy Expert will contribute to fulfil the results of the KCP 2017-2020. She/he will through her work sustain and build upon the achievements of the KCP and play through representation, advocacy and business development a key role in achieving Caritas Switzerland’s core mandate to end poverty.
Reporting to: Country Director
Duration: Initially 12 months with good prospect of extension
Location: Nairobi with travel within Kenya
1. Strengthen Caritas Switzerland’s role as a key WASH sector player
2. Widen Caritas Switzerland’s strategic portfolio in the urban sector
3. Develop new business opportunities for Kenya Country Program
Key expertise/ experience
The successful candidate is expected to have a proven track record in:
• Facilitating multi- disciplinary stakeholder processes;
• Managing project with a focus on achieving results ;
• Leading advocacy efforts in the WASH sector;
• Liaising with ministries at national and county level;
Essential requirements: We expect the a successful candidate to be able to:
• Communicate clearly in both writing and orally;
• Initiate action;
• Work collaboratively;
• Deliver high quality work;
• Search independently for additional/new information;
• Demonstrate the highest level of commitment and integrity.
Essential qualifications: The following criteria are minimum requirements for candidate to apply:
• MSc. degree in Public Health, Civil Engineering or Social Science;
• Solid knowledge of Kenya’s rural and urban WASH sector including regulatory frameworks and latest WASH policies development;
• At least five years’ experience in facilitation of multi- stakeholder fora and liaison with government;
• At least five years’ experience in working directly with grass roots level organisations; Qualified women are especially encouraged to apply.
Contract start: July 2018
Application: If you feel you fit the required profile, please let us know how your qualifications, experience and career ambitions match the requirements of this position. Send your application latest by 03.06.2018 to email@example.com indicating Project Manager/Advocacy Expert in the subject line and label all your attached files with your full name and document title.
Please provide a Curriculum Vitae (CV) that contains details of your qualifications, experience, present position, and current remuneration, earliest date of availability, names and telephone contacts of three referees.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.