Job Title: Programme Manager Grade: As per AAH Uganda salary scales
Reports to: Country Director
Supervises: Area Managers (Mid-western, West Nile and Karamoja)
Liaises with: Country programme support teams; Programme Technical Team at HQ; Government Ministries and Departments; UN agencies; Donors and Partner Agencies, including Private Sector; Research & Academic Institutions
Duty Station: Kampala, with at least 25% travel time to field locations
Purpose of the role: The core role of the Programme Manager is quality programme development and programme delivery. The incumbent is responsible for working with HQ and Country Team to develop high quality concept notes and project proposals and ensuring projects are implemented to the highest standard and are achieving the desired outcomes and impact. S/he networks with relevant in-country stakeholders and donors and deputizes for the Country Director, as may be required.
Duties & Responsibilities
1. As a member of the Country Senior Management Team
• Supports the development of an organisational culture that reflects our values, vision and mission
• Has a shared leadership accountability for AAH Uganda’s development and emergency programming and operations
• Supports the Country Director in the formulation and implementation of the country strategic plan.
• Helps design or review and implement a coherent organizational structure that is consistent with organisational practices and appropriate to programme needs
• Helps establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with: host government authorities, donors, partner agencies, including major institutional donors, and local and international NGOs
2. Oversight of Programme Development and Implementation
• Has delegated responsibility for field delivery of high quality programming in line with the objectives of the country strategy
• Coordinates overall resource mobilisation process. This includes: developing resource mobilisation strategies/action plans, building strategic partnerships for purpose of fundraising;
• In close coordination with HQ and in-country Managers, lead the development of high quality concept notes and proposals for submission to donors;
• Ensures programmes are implemented in ways responsive to the communities needs in line AAH principles, approaches, values and strategic plan. This includes working with government and local NGO-partners to strengthen national capacity
• Ensures that the required support to projects is provided promptly, at scale and in line with the agreed standard operating procedures
• Ensures programme implementation staff are well versed and are effectively applying organizational policies and practices, which result in successful financial and programmatic audit scores.
• Ensures preparation of timely and high quality institutional and donor reports
3. Monitoring & Evaluation and Learning
• Ensure all projects have M&E frameworks that outline the objectives, inputs, outputs and outcomes of the intended projects and the indicators that will be used to measure all these.
• Support Project Managers to track and manage project milestones and deliverables, ensuring that goals are met and deliverables are provided on time. Identify and resolving when activities have stalled and work with project teams to resolve bottlenecks
• Lead quarterly Programme Management Team (PMT) review sessions and ensure all Projects are holding monthly PMT reviews. Follow up and support implementation of ‘Action Points’ from monthly and quarterly PMTs.
• Coordinate project assessments, studies, and evaluations in accordance with AAH and donor guidelines.
• Ensure action planning and execution to resolve audit and evaluation findings and recommendations in a conclusive and timely manner.
• Promote learning by ensuring information that is gathered during the project implementation is used for accountability and to inform future activities, or modify implementation approach.
4. Humanitarian Response Management
• Strengthens country office organisational readiness to respond to emergencies in line with best humanitarian practice approaches and principles
• Ensures that the country office designs, updates and implements a full set of emergency preparedness actions, drawing on HQ input and resources
• Coordinates appropriate and timely responses at scale to all emergencies in close cooperation with incoming surge teams as may be necessary.
• Ensures that all staff across departments and field offices are familiar with and adhere to standard operating procedures even during an emergency response
• In coordination with the Country Director and sector heads or program managers maintains consistent and coherent engagement in key inter-agency emergency preparedness and response coordination mechanisms including the Cluster system.
5. Communications and Information Management
• In conjunction with the HQ, oversee the communications function at the Country Office, providing line management support to the short term Communications Officer, as and when engaged.
• Leverage communications services to promote documentation of best/promising practices, success stories and case studies to support resource mobilisation, demonstrate impact and promote the image of the organization.
• Ensure a streamlined information management system in a manner that information is readily accessible and shared. 6. Staff Safety and Security
• Work with the Area Managers to ensure that minimum operating standards are met by field teams and that periodic security assessments are carried out and reports submitted to the Country Senior Management team on time.
• Participate in security assessments and regular situation analysis.
7. Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development
• Ensures appropriate staffing within Programs Department/unit including at field office levels
• Ensures the recruitment, training, and promotion of staff as appropriate and ensure availability of appropriate professional development opportunities for staff • Manages the performance of direct reports through effective use of the Performance Management System, including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations.
• Improved quality of project/program proposals
• Increased country office programme portfolio
• Improved networking
• Improved quality of implementation of programs
• Increased staff capacity to implement projects/programs
• Improved quality and timeliness of program reports – both corporate and donor related • Improved audit performance
• A minimum of 8 years management experience in an NGO or other humanitarian environment, including significant field operations experience in running both emergency and development programmes, with at least 5 years working in primary health care and community-based health programming, or food security/livelihoods.
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Public Health, Agriculture, Entrepreneurship.
Minimum relevant experience required
• A very good understanding of the three AAH‘s main programme sectors; public health, food security/livelihoods and humanitarian emergency.
• Proven ability to design and write competitive project proposals for major institutional donors.
• Ability to provide strong project M&E support and compile/review quality donor reports.
• Experience in designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative data collection, including, social impact assessment, desk reviews, interviews and field work. • Substantial knowledge and experience of effective financial and budgetary control and supporting projects to stay on course with implementation.
• Exceptional general management and communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively with people of varied professional and cultural backgrounds.
Additional Skills & Competences
• Strong strategic and creative thinking. Demonstrated ability to take a strategic view across a large complex programme
• Excellent communication and negotiation skills
• Demonstrated skills in writing, editing and reporting
• Good knowledge of financial and administrative management • Personal commitment, drive for results,efficiency and flexibility
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office and analysis softwares
• Ability to mobilize and influence different audiences and communities
• Able to capacity build and develop others
• Commitment to the organizational vision, mission and values
Application Instructions Interested candidates should email application letter and CV (with 3 referees) addressed to email@example.com to be received by 25th February, 2018. The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for. AAH-I is an equal-opportunity employer. We thank candidates for their high interest in the opportunities we publish on our website. Due to the high number of applications we receive, we will only get back to shortlisted candidates.