ANIMAL HEALTH SUPERVISOR
VSF Germany, Piedmont Plaza, Off Ngong Road, 2ndFloor, P.O Box 25653, 00603 Nairobi, Kenya
VSF Germany is an international Non-Governmental Organization, providing humanitarian aid and development assistance to pastoralists and vulnerable communities in areas where livestock is of importance. In the region, VSF Germany implements activities in South Sudan, Kenya, Somalia, Uganda and Ethiopia.
With support in animal health, agriculture, marketing, food safety but also with developing the capacity of communities and governmental institutions or initiating peace and conflict resolution we work towards food security and strengthened livelihoods of pastoralist communities.
VSF Germany would like to recruit a Project Manager for the “ONE HEALTH Project; Multidisciplinary approach to promote the health and resilience of shepherds' communities in North Kenya” three (3) years project funded by Comitato Collaborazione Medica, (CCM) that has been running for now for One and half years. The Project Manager will be based in Marsabit with ravel to the project implementation areas in Marsabit.
This is a position charged with the responsibility of overseeing the actual project activity implementation. The position also provides technical and operational support to the project implementation team, Monitoring & evaluation and reporting.
- Act As a liaison between technical staff, CDRs and CHVs to promote effective communication in order to prevent and resolve concerns.
- Act As a point person for technical department team members
- Supervise disease prevention activities, educate and train staff in proper care and analysis of animal health issues
- Supervise community Disease Reporters (CDRs)
- Conduct mobilization, community entries and supervise the trainings of CDRs on disease identification, reporting and create awareness to the community on zoonotic diseases.
- Evaluate the quality of services delivered to the community by CDRs and guarantee the correct application of ministerial protocols
- Coordinate with Local authorities and relevant departments on regular meetings and updates on zoonotic diseases.
- Conduct joint periodic supervision missions with local authorities on the project outputs
- Coordinate activities by scheduling work assignments, setting priorities, and directing the work of subordinate employees
- Mobilize and coordinate meetings with key animal health stakeholders.
- Coordinate refresher trainings when needed for the CDRs
- Coordinate and organize community awareness meetings on hygiene and sanitation in order to reduce the prevalence of zoonotic infections
- Conduct monthly community dialogue sessions formally and informally to improve knowledge on the risks of self-diagnosis and self-medication.
II.Engagement in Coordination
Engage with internal and external stakeholders; County government line/key departments and other INGOs in collaborative interventions to further the quality implementation of project activities.
III.Participation in M&E related functions
- Provide support in data collection and management of relevant databases such as Livestock populations, HH populations, GPS Coordinates, Resource user group Population and M&E information relevant to Marsabit Project coverage portfolio.
- Participate in regular planning and reporting in compliance to partnership standards.
- Take lead in the development of activity work plans for implementation of the components assigned.
- Promote learning through information sharing, development of case studies, organizing project reflection meetings with partners and target beneficiaries, and documentation of best practices.
- Handle the funds for community project activities in consultation and guidance of the Program Manager and Project accountant.
- Monitoring and Supervising the accounting (finance, supplies and consumables) for the community development component of the project.
- Ensure all finance documents submitted are within the rules and regulations of VSFG and AICS.
- Write all activity reports (workshops, trainings, sensitization meetings etc.) and submit soon after they have been conducted.
- Prepare monthly narrative reports from the sector and forward them to the Program Manager.
- Make a report on the inventory for the sector for all equipment and materials procured under the project.
- Ensure all the reports prepared and submitted to the Supervisor/Line Manager meets the standards and requirements of VSFG and AICS.
Relevant university degree (Master or Post graduate), in Veterinary medicine, Livestock, Animal Health, Agriculture Economics, or other relevant field.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional relevant experience.
- Experience in implementing and managing multidisciplinary approaches in project implementation especially in promotion of health and resilience of shepherds' communities in Northern Kenya.
- Strong program design and management skill and experience.
- Experience in livestock good hygienic practices, Livelihoods, Resilience, Natural Resource
Management and other related fields.
- Working experience in financial management of donor projects.
- Proven track record in donor relationships.
- Communication Skills: Excellent writing and verbal skills in English.
- Adaptability and flexibility: Ability to manage a large workload and multiple tasks in a fastpaced environment with tight deadlines.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an application letter and CV to the email address given above. Indicate the Applicable Job Title on the Subject. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews. Closing date for receiving applications is 21st February, 2020 at 17.00hrs. Due to the urgency of this position the applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. The advert will automatically close as soon as a suitable candidate is found.